IFSTAL aims to augment your studies with theory, knowledge, skills and values that are aligned with the challenges that are facing food systems today. By being better equipped for the workplace you will improve your job prospects. We have encapsulated these in our student skills framework below.
We offer a mixed programme of events and resources. In each academic year we offer:
- four online units, linked to local university based workshops;
- a virtual learning environment, or ‘portal’ hosting the units, additional resources, discussion forums, blogs and more;
- four workshops bringing together students, staff and food system professionals from across IFSTAL’s partner institutions;
- a week-long summer school;
- links to internships and placement opportunities.
This is a programme that bridges the gap between the world of study and of work. We emphasise transferable skills, use workplace based frameworks, work on real-world challenges and make opportunities for students to meet and work alongside people operating at the ‘coalface’ of food system challenges.
INCREASE YOUR JOB PROSPECTS
- membership of a graduate food systems network
- engagement with a full spectrum of food sector practitioners
- opportunities for dissertation placements as well as links with internships
- access to a free IFSTAL summer school
Participation in IFSTAL is free and voluntary.
You can engage in IFSTAL to different degrees depending on your interests, needs and aspirations.
There are no minimum requirements – the more you put into the IFSTAL network, the more you’ll get out of it!
IFSTAL is available to all postgraduate students at the participating institutions: Oxford University, City University London, Reading University, Warwick University and LCIRAH (comprising London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, SOAS and The Royal Veterinary College).
You can access and register with IFSTAL through your University’s Virtual Learning Environment or VLE (Weblearn, Blackboard or Moodle). Just sign in to your VLE and search for IFSTAL. Alternatively you can use the links below.